Using Custom Whitening Trays At Home
- The gel is effective for 18 months from the date of delivery
- Trays should be brushed with toothpaste and rinsed thoroughly after each use
- Trays should not be soaked in hot water to avoid warping
- Each syringe should last 2-3 full mouth applications
- When trays are put on, a very small amount of gel should extrude out of the trays. This gel should be wiped away with your toothbrush so that it does not cause discomfort.
- Crowns, bridges, veneers, and fillings will not whiten
- Sensodyne or comparable sensitivity toothpaste should be used starting 1 week prior to whitening and continued while whitening is being completed to decrease the risk of sensitivity.
- After whitening, rinse your teeth with warm water. DO NOT brush immediately after whitening to help decrease sensitivity – wait 30 minutes.
- Avoid drinking/eating for 30 minutes after whitening. Especially drinks that cause discoloration (i.e. Coffee, soda, wine)
- You can leave your bleaching trays in for 30 minutes a day. If you have NO sensitivity at this interval, you may increase to up to 1 hour a day. Try to complete whitening treatments once a day for 2-3 weeks.
- If you have had problems with sensitivity in the past, you will be asked to leave your bleaching trays in for 15-20 minutes for the first application. If you experience sensitivity, complete whitening treatment every other day for the next 3-4 weeks for 20 minutes/application. If you have no sensitivity for 24 hours, increase the amount of time to 30 minutes for your next application and try to whiten every day.
If you lose trays made at our office or they no longer fit due to extensive dental work, you can have new whitening trays made for $75 each within 5 years of being made.